Sr. Mechanical Test Engineer
Country:United States of America
Location:PW100: East Hartford 400 Main Street, East Hartford, CT, 06118 USA
Pratt & Whitney is working to once again transform the future of flight—designing, building and servicing engines unlike any the world has ever seen. And because transformation begins from within, we’re seeking the people to drive it. So, calling all curious.
Come ready to explore and you’ll find a place where your talent takes flight—beyond the borders of title, a country or your comfort zone. Bring your passion and commitment and we’ll welcome you into a tight-knit team that takes our mission personally. Channel your drive to make a difference into shaping an organization and an industry that’s evolving fast to the future.
Where the difference you make is on display every day. Just look up.
Are you ready to go beyond?
Pratt & Whitney is seeking a highly motivated individual to support mechanical testing of a wide range of materials for application in our turbine engines. This role is focused on using advanced test methods to determine material mechanical properties for use in the design, optimization, management, and safe operation of our jet engine components.
- Develop & execute test programs and test methods to define properties of turbine engine materials and components. Major mechanical characterization test types include thermo-mechanical fatigue, low cycle fatigue, high cycle fatigue, fracture mechanics, creep, stress rupture, tensile, impact and tribology
- As active member of several multi-functional problem-solving teams, you will work closely with engineers and associates of other disciplines including Design, Structures, Materials Development, Quality and Operations
- Coordination and execution of test programs including specimen layout planning, extraction/fabrication, test fixture design and procurement, instrumentation, post test data analysis, formal report writing and archiving of data and specimens
- Interaction with both internal and external design and testing resources, universities, and service suppliers
- Daily interaction, oversight and coordination of testing equipment operation, maintenance, and personnel
- Specifications and procurement of new or modified test equipment and instrumentation as required to augment test lab capabilities
- Develop new testing technologies and methods to monitor material behavior in unique and challenging turbine engine environments
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or equivalent and 5+ years of prior relevant engineering experience, OR a Masters’ Degree in Engineering or related field and 3+ years of prior relevant engineering experience OR a PHD and 2+ years of prior relevant engineering experience.
- US Citizenship required due to government contracts
- Work Schedule: On-Site
- Up to 10% travel.
- Servo-hydraulic or electromechanical testing experience
- Experience with automating data analysis methods or database management (Granta)
- Experience with high temperature (2500F+) test methods
- Experience with CAD design, structural analysis, part definition and fabrication
- Experience with test system control software (MTS FlextesT or similar)
- A strong, hands-on mechanical background
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to develop strong interpersonal relationships and exercise influence
- Ability to lead small teams to deliver outstanding results and overcome challenges
- Knowledge and effective practice of Environmental, Health and Safety requirements
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms